The Noerden Liz Bottle looks like a basic metal water bottle. But look closer, and you’ll notice a rechargable, electronic cap that uses a powerful UV-C lamp to sterilize water inside. I carried the LIZ bottle with me for a few weeks, and am happy to report that I’m certianly more hydrated!
Thanks to its built-in UV-C light, LIZ destroys 99.9% of harmful viruses and odor-causing bacteria by breaking down their DNA in under 5 minutes.
It’s a svelte looking bottle, with a minimal profile. Looking at it from afar, you’d never know that it has a few more tricks – but once looking closer, you can begin to see the charging contacts, and raised lightup logo. In general though, the bottle looks just fine, will fit in with office decore or weekend decor, and won’t raise too many eyebrows. I also appreciate the rubber anti skid pad on the bottom, as well as the rubber grip/carabiner collar. Charging the bottle for the first time is relatively simple, and the indicator light turns white to indicate a full charge.
As far as a water bottle goes, it works just fine – water in, water out. The UV-C sterilization seems to work as described, at least from a functional perspective – hold down the logo at the top, and the light pulses white for a bit to let you know it’s cleaning.
- Water & Bottle UV Sterilisation – “Thanks to its built-in sterilization system with UV-C light, LIZ destroys 99.9% of harmful viruses and odor-causing bacteria by breaking down their DNA in under 5 minutes. Simply tap the lid twice: it will sterilize the bottle if empty or the water it contains, as well as eliminate bad smell.” – It seems to work just fine, however without a more scientific analysis, it’s impossible to tell whether it actually worked. I haven’t gotten sick yet!
- Hydration Reminders – “Every 2h, LIZ?s smart lid blinks to remind you to hydrate. Drink 3-4 480mL LIZ bottles to make sure you get the optimum 1.5-2L daily intake.” – Yep, the bottle does pulse to remind me to drink. However, I’ve never found this to be truly useful.
- 12-24h Hot & Cold Insulation – “Thanks to its stainless steel body, LIZ is insulated to keep your favorite beverage hot or cold for up to 12 to 24h.” – It does keep my water at around the same temperature all day. That said, this is not a bottle for morning coffee – the sterilization only works on clear liquids.
- Temperature Range Indicator – “Are you tired of burning your tongue or drinking stale cold coffee? Simply tap the lid once to check the temperature range: the LED light will blink in the corresponding color (blue for cold, yellow for warm, and red for hot).” – A cool feature, but not one I use frequently.
- Automatic Protection – “If the lid is opened during the sterilization process, the bottle will automatically turn on safe mode to prevent ultraviolet (UV) rays from causing you any harm.” – Thank goodness this exists – UV-C rays are dangerous, but luckily the system turns off when unscrewing.
- Low Battery Reminder – “When the battery power is below 5%, if you touch the lid, a red light will flash rapidly. This indicates the battery is low, it?s time to charge your LIZ!” – Yep!
Should You Buy It?
If you live in an area with questionable water quality, and want to be double sure that your daily water is clean and sterile, than this could be a great product. However, if you’re in an area with really bad water, chances are you’re drinking bottled water anyway. Or, if you’re in a place with good water, chances are you’re just used to tap water. But for somebody who is truly concerned with sterile water, then this seems to fit the bill. As a normal water bottle, it works just fine – if not a bit overkill.
- Brand & Model: Noerden LIZ (Amazon Link)
- Price: USD $79
- Who we think it might be for: A health-concious person who wants to drink tap water in a potentially questionble area.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Make the magnetic charging block USB-C, instead of antiquated micro-usb.
- What spoke to me the most about this: Slick design, and UV-C sterilization – cool!
- Vacuum insulated 316 (surgical grade) stainless steel bottle
- Food grade BPA-free plastic anti-leak lid
- 12-24h hot & cold temperature insulation
- Rechargeable lithium battery (w/ magnetic USB charging cable)
- 1-month average battery life (w/ 1 UV sterilization per day)
- Standard cup holder size
- Dishwasher safe (hand-wash lid)