You know us – there are a few things we always head out the door with. You got your wallet, your keys, a watch of some sort (quartz, mechanical, smart, wear what works for you!), and then usually some sort of a pocket knife. This isn’t because we want to pretend to be Crocodile Dundee, no. This is because a pocket knife is an incredibly useful tool to have on you, as you never know when something needs to be cut. One of the latest to start vying for pocket space is the brand-new Winterblade Severn.
What is it?
Now, you may recall we did a review earlier this summer on the Winterblade Mirage (seen here), which makes some very clever – and fun – use of magnets to create a knife that opens unlike anything I’ve ever handled. And to be clear, magnets are really where Winterblade has carved a niche for themselves. With the Winterblade Severn, however, there are exactly zero magnets.
That’s right – this is a “traditional” knife. But we all know there’s more than meets the eye here, right? Let’s let a little video do some talking on the new stuff going on here:
What are we excited about with this knife?
Well, of course it’s that slick “stealth” lock feature. Giving the user a few different options for how to unlock the knife – safely – is a good thing in our book, as it can give you options depending on how full your hands are. The combination of a bar lock and a spine lock also sounds pretty sturdy, which just folds into the overall robustness of a more technical pocket knife like this. And past all of that? It looks like it’ll be a blast to fidget with!
How much will one of these be?
Depending on the version you go for, pricing will range from $189 to $369 for the new Severn. We’re going to be getting some time with the review unit that’s making the rounds, so be on the lookout for that. In the meantime, you can check out all the details over at the Winterblade site. Oh, and if you’re interested, go ahead and set your calendar reminders for when the pre-order officially opens on November 22, 2023 at 8pm EST (GMT-5). There are currently eight variants up, with another three collectors edition versions. winterblade.com
Patent pending STEALTH LOCK
- Dual lock actuation (a bar lock and spine lock in one!)
- “Hidden” spine lock actuation
- Smooth, compression spring lock action
- Strong, rock-solid lock up
- Steel lock plates
- FOUR primary blade deployment methods
- Quick-change magnetic thumb stud (no tools!)
- Titanium handle/scales
- M390 blade steel with “Laser Bacon” finish
- Fully amphibious, err, sorry, ambidextrous features
- Reversible milled pocket clip
- Ergonomic, skeletonized handle/scales
- Anti blade bounce geometry
- XL finger choil
- Large, chamfered blade window
- Easy access blade window ramps
- Single T8 screw size throughout
- Easy disassembly
- Overall blade length: 3.25”
- Blade edge length: 2.75”
- Handle length: 4.5”
- Overall knife length: 7.75”
- Max handle width: 1.25”
- Knife width when closed: 1.5”
- Handle Thickness: .44” (7/16”)
- Weight: Titanium Handle: 4.6 oz, Aluminum Handle: 3.8 oz, G10 Handle: 3.5 oz
- OEM partner: Bestech