Nowadays, having to get on a conference call for work – whatever your solution is – has become basically second nature. We’re on calls all the time, most frequently from our own homes, with our personal headsets. But that solution won’t work if and when you’re back in the office, or perhaps meeting up offsite with some local colleagues for a whiteboarding session. In those cases, you’re going to need to leverage some sort of speakerphone – and the latest entry we’ve been made aware of is the Beyerdynamic Space Max.
What is it?
The Beyerdynamic Space Max is an upgrade to their existing (and still available) Space speakerphone. What we like about this puck is that you can use it via a USB-C connection (handy for when you’ve run the battery down) as well as via Bluetooth, which means the puck can be placed in the best spot for everyone to hear, and for the microphones to pick things up.
How will it work for a call?
We’ve not tried it out ourselves, but on paper, it seems like it should be pretty solid. It’s got intelligent processing to try and eliminate any echoes or feedback from the room you’re in, it automatically adjusts volume levels, and it even allows for full-duplex conversations, meaning you can have folks talking on both sides at the same time, and it’ll keep the conversation going.
What can you connect it to?
With the USB-C and bluetooth connectivity, this should connect to just about anything you have – your laptop, your phone, or even your tablet. Take your meetings wherever you are (as it’s relatively light and compact for what the device is) with whatever device(s) you normally find yourself traveling with. Even it’s just to the office space, and you’re camping out in a larger office to take the call.
How can I get one?
That’s the relatively simple part, here. If you want one, they’re going for $399 over on Amazon, or directly from Beyerdynamic.com. Oh, and if you want the original Beyerdynamic Space, you can get those much more affordably, coming in at $179, albeit with a bit less tech packed in.
Tech Specs from Beyerdynamic
- Device type : Speakerphone
- Loudspeaker type: Two-way system with 2.0″ mid-range speaker and 0.65” tweeter with two passive radiators
- Maximum loudspeaker output: 10 W + 5 W RMS
- Sound pressure level: 90 dB SPL
- Microphone type: 4 x MEMS
- Microphone frequency range: 100 Hz – 10 kHz
- Loudspeaker frequency range: 80 Hz~ 15 KHz (-10dB)
- Supported profiles: HFP, A2DP
- Transmission: Bluetooth® and USB-C®
- Bluetooth® version: 5.0
- Battery technology: Lithium-ion 5000mAh 7.4V
- Battery life: Typ. 25,5 hrs when communicating
- Charger connector: USB-C®
- Charging time: 2 hrs 5 min (via PowerDelivery Charge)
- Firmware updates possible: Yes
- Dimensions in mm (L x W x H): 149,5 mm x 149,5 mm x 52,5 mm
- Weight (without cable): 680 g
- Included as standard: Speakerphone beyerdynamic SPACE MAX, drawstring bag, USB cable (USB-C® to USB-C®), USB-C® to USB-A adapter